Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Not Yours to Take

I saw this pretty little butterfly once

I tried to catch it in my hands but it kept escaping

I found an old empty jar

And I caught the butterfly in it, sealed it and poked some holes in the lid

I named my new friend Marlene

The little thing went crazy trying to find an exit

Hitting and bumping the sides of the jar

But eventually it calmed down and nestled into the bottom of the jar

Then I realized it wasn’t opening its pretty wings anymore

Something was wrong with it,

I thought.

I shook the jar in this way and that way

But the butterfly didn’t move a single wing

Stupid butterfly, good for nothing.

I went to an open window and opened the jar to throw the butterfly outside

But as soon as I opened the lid,

It flew out, flapping its beautiful wings and fluttering about

I tried to reach out for it

But it flew away

For good.

No comments:

Post a Comment